Old February 25th 08, 03:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

Default Conti Contact Security vs Schwalbe Marathon Plus cycle tires

On Feb 24, 8:09*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
I am quite happy with SM+ for Chicago city commuting. I hate flats, and I
don't get any.

As far as I am concerned (personally), this issue is closed.

And unless there is a significant price difference. Though the

recommended retail price is about the same for the Schwalbe Marathon
Plus and the Bontrager Satellite Elite Hardcase, from the discounters
the Bontrager was about 60 per cent the price the last time I looked.
As I have both and cannot for the life of me see any significant
difference, a 40 per cent price difference would have to feature in my
decision.

I have Schwalbe Marathon Plus on one of my TREK 520 bikes and
Bontrager Select K (with a kevlar strip inside) on the other. Both
have worn well with minimum flats. The Schwalbe's have gone about
10,000 miles with just two flats. The Bontrager rear tire wore out
more quickly than that but still wore longer than most tires, and with
only a couple flats. I'll replace the Schwalbes before my next long
ride this summer. I am not familiar with the Satellite Elite
Hardcase. How does it compare with the Select K?

I did not have good luck with thorn resistant tubes. Several of them
had stem failures.

Using a separate Kevlar lining with a thin tube wasn't good because
the sharp edge on the Kevlar caused flats. So I went to the Select
K. And then also the Schwalbe's after I had heard about them.