Old February 25th 08, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
datakoll

Default Conti Contact Security vs Schwalbe Marathon Plus cycle tires

On Feb 25, 7:39*am, Luke wrote:
In article
, TJ

wrote:
http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticy...security.shtml

Continental, Germany tells us the Contact Security is

"Designed for industrial applications, the ContactSecurity can also
perform well in everyday use. Its massive puncture-proof breaker was
developed to resist metal cuttings and shards on factory grounds. In
view of its tough construction, it is not a comfortable touring tyre
with low rolling resistance, but it does effectively ward off gravel
and shards on short stretches in the city."

How do these compare for puncture protection, speed and mileage
against the Schwalbe Mararthon Plus ??

Thanks

I've never ridden a Schwalbe and so can't directly compare the Conti
Contact Security's characteristics against it.

Still, my impression after almost a winter's season's worth of riding a
CCS, on the rear wheel only, has yielded these observations: the Conti
is heavy, harsh and has a noticeably higher rolling resistance (against
the other puncture resistant tire I've had extensive experience with:
Panaracer Pasela with Tourguard). My experience corroborates Conti's
assertion that the Contact Security does not make for comfortable
riding. No flats on the Conti though, but the Pasela on the front
hasn't had a flat either.

I opted for the Contis only after efforts of sourcing a set of
Marathons locally proved fruitless -- they were a second choice to
begin with. If I could repeat the exercise I'd try harder to get my
hands on a set of Marathons instead.- Hide quoted text -

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...p?category=625

The Panaracer Pasela isnot a commuter's tire. The Pasela is a niche
market around the block tire for Sunday afternoons.
The Conti Security isn't harsh, it grips loose surfaces without
resorting to knobs, louvers and gearhackles. If it didn't grip then it
would be termed harsh. You see the distinction?