Old November 2nd 19, 09:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Will e-bikes expand cycling?

On 11/1/2019 8:49 PM, pH wrote:

snip

The Li ion revolution seems to have saved the day.
So far I'm seeing bottom-bracket "pods" more than hub motors by about a 10:1 ratio.
I don't know the wattage of these things (I think that Bosch and Yamaha are the two main players...Muzi help me out here it there are popular others), but the 750 watt motor of your acquaintance/neighbor seems like it would be more than adequate, even for a Clydesdale as me.

Short answer: Lots around Santa Cruz so far. We'll see how they hold up over time.

In Silicon Valley I see far more hub motor e-bikes than mid-drive
models. Surprising if the opposite is true in Santa Cruz since a decent
mid-drive model starts at around $2000 and can be well over $4000, while
a decent hub-motor model can be found for under $1200.

You can do a retrofit for about $700 for a hub motor wheel plus a
sufficient battery while a mid-drive conversion kit is about $1500.