Old July 20th 20, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Adjusting brakes

On 7/19/2020 6:23 PM, AK wrote:
On Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 3:00:48 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/19/2020 2:44 PM, AK wrote:
On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 7:59:12 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/18/2020 2:39 AM, AK wrote:
I am having a very hard time adjusting my rear brakes.

I have a mountain bike. Low end. :-)

If I adjust it to where it grabs the rim tightly, it slows my bike down due to the resistance from the brake touching the rim.

It's very frustrating.

Thanks,
Andy

First off, does your rim run straight without dents ? Any
bearing slop?
Secondly are there kinks or other impedimanta to your cable?

Do your brake pads meet the rim squarely and fully or are
they askew?

Is everything original? Mismatch of standard lever with
long pull linear brake would give that symptom.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Yes to all your questions.

https://imgur.com/a/e61C1L5

https://imgur.com/a/nXBEr1Q

If you mean "yes" to bearing slop and cable kinks, start there. Fix those.

The portion of cable visible in those photos looks extra long. You may
have similar extra length at brake lever end. Sometimes that can cause
some extra lost motion. Whether or not you correct that by shortening
the cable and housing, you might try lubricating your cables.

Are your brake levers adjustable for reach? Some are. Try that adjustment.

Those brakes themselves are pretty foolproof.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Thanks.

I lubricated the cable with a synthetic grease.

Brakes are ok now.

But I left this rubber boot off?

What does it do?

https://imgur.com/a/nEV1uUX

Andy

Purely aesthetic or as my industry experts often note, "It's
for selling." Don't worry over it.