Old July 21st 20, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Adjusting brakes

On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 12:54:06 UTC-4, sms wrote:
On 7/20/2020 10:40 PM, AK wrote:

snip

That is mostly true.

But as a retired scientist, I love to learn new things.

I will at some point learn how to true a wheel.

It takes a truing stand, patience, and the realization that you will
probably never achieve a perfectly true wheel. Tightening and loosening
spokes on alternate sides by only a small amount in each iteration of
truing. Remember that not only does the wheel need to be true side to
side, it also has to remain round. And you can really screw things up if
you over-tighten spokes.

Many people have trued many wheels without having to use a truing stand. They do it with the wheel still on the bike. It's a good skill to have if touring. Then you can true a wheel on tour or on a long ride if needed.

Cheers