Old July 26th 20, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Global Cycling News

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 20:09:49 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 08:43:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

The country with probably the longest history of slavery making comments
like that? Those that they didn't sell into slavery or enslave in foreign
countries, they shipped of to Australian to die.

White Cargo
The Forgotten History of Britain?s White Slaves in America
https://nyupress.org/9780814742969/white-cargo/

Snopes gives that meme a grade of “Well, not quite true”.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ir...early-america/

As usual, reality lives between the extremes. The consensus seems to
be that Snopes is generally correct, but I prefer to read (skim) the
available literature and make up my own mind about a topic I know
little. So far, the only thing I've read worth debating is whether
indentured servitude or volunteer slavery is bad, evil, illegal, etc
with plenty of opinions at each extreme.

"Irish slaves myth"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_slaves_myth

"The Irish Famine of 1740 prompted immigration to America"
https://theargyllcolonyplus.org/the-irish-famine-of-1740-prompted-immigration-to-america/
...it is said that 38% of the Irish population died during
the crisis.

Over the centuries, Ireland has had several major famines. This one
was from 1740 to 1741:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Famine_(1740%E2%80%9341)
...is estimated to have killed between 13% and 20% of the
1740 population of 2.4 million people...
The book covers the 17th and 18th century, which includes this famine.
The ritual is usually the same when there's a famine. Families do
what needs to be done to stay alive, while the government does
nothing. The Irish were stuck with either selling themselves into
indentured service or starving. They chose "transportation" and
probably decided to worry about the consequences later. It seems like
a fair percentage of the Irish population couldn't or wouldn't make a
deal and as a result, died.

I suggest a simple test for the morality of the situation. If you
lived in Ireland during the 1740 famine, and were offered a free ride
to America in trade for some vaguely non-specific work situation,
would you take it when the only alternatives were starvation or
cannibalism? No need to answer, just think about it.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D