Old July 27th 20, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Cassette change?

On 2020-07-18 12:59, Mark Cleary wrote:

On Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 12:23:25 PM UTC-5, Mark Cleary wrote:
I am easy on drive-train's. I get 6000 miles on chains without
going over the limit on 11 speed shimano. My question is right now
my cassette a 11-28 has some 16000 miles on it and works fine. No
Skipping I am getting ready to put a new chain on pretty soon maybe
another 1000 miles. Should I go ahead and swap out the cassette. My
instincts tell me to just keep riding. If for some reason a new
chain causes a skip then yes i need new cassette. The bike is
Ultegra 6800 and shifts like a dream. I put a new cable on the rear
today and was thinking maybe just order up a not only the chain but
a new cassette. Cassette are a mystery on wear for sure.

What do all the minds in here think? It is not broke leave alone or
just go new and be done for hopefully anther 16000 miles, not
kilometres.

Deacon Mark

It would have worked fine I am sure. The old chain in all 110 links
together had less than 1/4 inch of stretch.

Nowadays chains don't stretch much anymore but it's the rollers that
wear out. They develop more and more slack and then one day that starts
ruining the cassette.

I looked and compared the
new cassette to the old one and could not detect a bit of difference
other than it was just no shiny new. I got 7500 miles on the chain. I
am really easy on chains and tires. I get 5500-6000 miles on COnti GP
II's without them being completely wore to the cords.

Lucky you. I don't even come close to those miles until it's all worn out.

I think because I doksn't purposely ride in the rain and there are no
mountains here they last. I am a spinning distance rider I tend to go
long stretches of miles at 16-20 MPH and keep up on maintenance. I
hear of guys getting new chains every 1500 miles and tires ect. That
would get pretty expensive at the rate I am riding.

My chain lasts a little longer than that but tires, yes, 1500mi is the
average on the road bike and around 1000mi on the MTB. So I buy cheap
tires mostly from Thailand because their endurance isn't much worse than
fancy brand-name tires that cost 2-3x.

The differences between us are probably the hills, the sometimes rough
roads, a hot climate, the fact that I weigh 208lbs (with a goal of
getting that down to 180-190lbs) and that I ride with a rack load a lot.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/