Old July 30th 20, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Boston Cycling - You make the call

Rolf Mantel writes:

Am 30.07.2020 um 15:02 schrieb Bertrand:
https://nypost.com/video/can-i-get-a...ly-close-call/

unclear to me.

Cars were stacked up for at least two blocks at the light, but did not
block the intersection, allowing the driver to turn left.Â* She was not
watching for the biker, who had the right of way.Â* Still and all, I
don't think I would have wanted to go as fast as he did when to the
right of stopped traffic.

I agree. Blasting through the intersection like that risks a
collision not only with a left-turning car that you can't see, but
also with someone who decides at the last second to get out of that
traffic and turn right.Â* I probably would have approached that
intersection at no more than a fast walking pace.

What's the approved vehicular cyclist behavior there?Â* Just wait in
line with the other vehicles?

Rule 1 is "always chose a speed that allows you to stop in time".

So if you approach a junction where the "straight though" traffic is
not moving, you should have a max speed not more than 10mph.

When you approach a junction at 10 mph and see a car turning directly
into your path, you should be able to take avoiding action independent
of the driver's error (if you desparately need a new bike you might
still rely on the car yielding to you but it's not worth the hassle).

Exactly this does (or did, before the covids turned me into a
climb-the-stairs commuter) happen to me regularly. It's not even
alarming. If I see a slowly moving car to my left begin to slow even
more, leaving a gap in front, I know they're doing something. Sometimes
they're texting. Otherwise they're letting some poor ******* turn left
in front of them, or they're planning to turn right. If it's the left
turner I stop and yield the right of way. This is certainly not legally
required, but it's considered good manners in the local traffic culture.

Anyone negotiating traffic in Boston, with a bike, car, or motorcycle,
should figure out how this works in pretty short order.