Old July 30th 20, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Boston Cycling - You make the call

On 7/30/2020 3:22 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Bertrand writes:

https://nypost.com/video/can-i-get-a...ly-close-call/

unclear to me.

Cars were stacked up for at least two blocks at the light, but did not
block the intersection, allowing the driver to turn left. She was not
watching for the biker, who had the right of way. Still and all, I
don't think I would have wanted to go as fast as he did when to the
right of stopped traffic.

I agree. Blasting through the intersection like that risks a collision
not only with a left-turning car that you can't see, but also with
someone who decides at the last second to get out of that traffic and
turn right. I probably would have approached that intersection at no
more than a fast walking pace.

What's the approved vehicular cyclist behavior there? Just wait in
line with the other vehicles?

I can't speak to vehicular cyclist approval, but any cyclist waiting in
a long line of backed up cars in Massachusetts would be considered
mental, and possibly dangerous.

And I don't know any cyclist, including the Vehicular ones I know, who
would wait in such a long line.

However, I've seen cyclists who refuse to wait behind even three or four
cars at a traffic light. I've seen them get passed by motorists, filter
up to get ahead of those same motorists at a red light, and thus force
the motorists to pass them again within a hundred yards or so.

To me, that's no more logical than the "Must past bicyclist!!" motorists
who pass dangerously 100 yards before a red light.

--
- Frank Krygowski