Old July 31st 20, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Boston Cycling - You make the call

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 09:02:51 -0400, Bertrand
wrote:

https://nypost.com/video/can-i-get-a...ly-close-call/

unclear to me.

Cars were stacked up for at least two blocks at the light, but did not
block the intersection, allowing the driver to turn left. She was not
watching for the biker, who had the right of way. Still and all, I
don't think I would have wanted to go as fast as he did when to the
right of stopped traffic.

I agree. Blasting through the intersection like that risks a collision not only
with a left-turning car that you can't see, but also with someone who decides at
the last second to get out of that traffic and turn right. I probably would
have approached that intersection at no more than a fast walking pace.

What's the approved vehicular cyclist behavior there? Just wait in line with
the other vehicles?

I have one basic rule that has worked for all the years I've been
riding a bike. DON'T GET HIT!

Look both ways, look in front and in back, if in doubt get off and
walk, or any other action the prevents you from being hit.

Cheers,
John B.