Old July 31st 20, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Tire width

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 1:53:05 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 5:10:32 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/20/2020 8:10 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/20/2020 6:34 PM, wrote:
I think we had this discussion before but it is time to revisit it. I
have been riding Vittoria Corse G+ 25 mm tires. Somehow I had gotten
the idea that these were faster than the 28 mm tires I had been using
5 or so years ago. Well, Since I have been switching over to clinchers
again I got a set of Michelin Power 28 mm clinchers.

There is a sharp descent and a long slightly downhill section I travel
on regularly. There is a radar speed limit sign on this route so that
I can double check my speedo. My speed through this rough area is
normally 24 mph on the sign and about that on my speedo. I just
changed over to the 28 mm tires and did that section and the radar
reported 26 mph through this section. And the fatter tires at a 10 psi
less inflation pressure rode so much smoother that I cannot for the
life of me remember why I changed to the 25's.

Before I had 23's on my Time and you simply could not ride that Time
with 23's on it unless you had a butt of cast iron. When I changed to
the 28's on the Time it was and entirely different bike.

As you probably know, I am 6'4" and 190 lbs so I'm sure there is some
dividing point though I don't know where that might be since the Tour
riders are using 26 mm sew-up tires on their bikes. But I can tell you
I won't make that mistake again and I will be riding 28's from now on.