Old August 1st 20, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Default LBS owner's essay

AMuzi wrote: On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 5:45:42 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:

When I needed a replacement 10.5mm x 26 TPI nut for an SRAM 3x7 hub

Anyone surprised that SMS did not care to look up the part# or the specs in
the SRAM manuals?

SRAM Part # 65 0516 003 100 Axle Nut FG10,5
65 0516 107 000 Axle Cap Nut FG10,5

I first drove to 4 local shops. Forget it. One shop knew what I was
talking about at least. Ordered it from YOUR shop. I wasn't trying
to save money by ordering it, I just wanted the darn part and no LBS
could help me. Later I found one LBS that had the "close enough"
13/32 x 26 TPI Sturmey-Archer axle nuts (that shop is now out of
business).

Because SMS, the pathetically cheap Walmart + China shopper, and his "smart"
constituents, assume that an LBS can survive on selling a few, somewhat
exotic, axle nuts a year, preferably stocked, to lazy cagers who smugly feel
as if they are "supporting their LBS" by their grandiose spare nut purchases?

Neither a 1.0 metric nor a 26tpi gauge fits exactly on those axles and
Sachs/SRAM doesn't state the thread. Even if you decided that 'something
close' would do, there are no m11x1.0 nuts in common use anywhere, not
autos, not McMaster-Carr or what have you.

From the SRAM techmanual gearhubsystems pdf (archive):
Axle - Ends Diameter - FG 10,5

(FG = Fahrradgewinde)

Your old Winkler-Rauch (book) has all the data on it:
Steigung 0,977; Flankenwinkel 60°;
Außendurchmesser 10,444; Flankendurchmesser 9,924; Kerndurchmesser 9,404;
Gangzahl pro Zoll 26; Gewindetiefe 0,520; Gewinderundung 0,163

--
(any typos might be mine)