Old May 10th 04, 11:21 AM
Roger Zoul

Default First Helmet : jury is out.

Walter Mitty wrote:
:: Hmm. Just bought a cycling helmet for my last short tour which
:: encompassed quite a bit of city cycling. Never wore one before :
:: don't think I will again.
::
:: The added noise and irritation that the helment causes more than
:: offsets the "possible" help it gives in case of a spill by deducting
:: from my usual spacial awareness.

What noise and irritation? Regardless of any merits about safety, I find my
helmet comfortable. If I ride without it, I feel as though I'm not wearing
my seatbelt.

::
:: I don't know. I still refuse to believe that the helmet won't help
:: in a spill, but wonder if the %chance of it helping offsets the %
:: increase in likelihood of an accident due to lower awareness levels.

Surely you can imagine the sitaution in a spill were a helmet might help.
Even if it won't save my life in a full head collision with the road, I'll
take what little protection it does offer. Given all the riding I plan to
do my options seem limited. 1) come away dead, 2) come away extremely messed
up, 3) come away with some skin removed and some stuff broken. So if my
helmet helps with situation 3, I'll be happy. In either of the other two
options, the helmet thing will be a moot point.

Plus, it looks cool....bicycle peacock thing.....IMO.