Old July 14th 17, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Sparrows are a protected species

On 14/07/17 02:03, JNugent wrote:
On 13/07/2017 19:33, TMS320 wrote:
On 12/07/17 14:02, JNugent wrote:
On 10/07/2017 09:31, TMS320 wrote:
On 10/07/17 06:11, Bret Cahill wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-camera.html

Sometimes you need to _force_ an issue. He's done everything
exactly right.

Here's an earlier version:
http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2017-0...ts-in-swansea/

In many stores esp. in U. S. airports they have life size card board
cut outs of guys that look like federal agents. Everyone knows it's
a cardboard cutout but just reminding people that someone could be
watching reduces theft.

The bird box is at least as transparent and honest in that it's only
deceptive to those who are driving too fast. If you are a good alert
driver going the speed limit then you can read the sign.

It isn't just speed merchants. It is about all the not particularly
alert drivers going "just over" the limit that has caused all the
hoo haa about the "unfairness" of cameras.

Since the typical tolerance is 10% + 2mph and that speedometers over
read it means that when going "just over" a 30mph limit their needle
will be pointing to 40mph or more. That is an example of the level
of alertness required of drivers.

You do not need to be doing [(30mph x 1.1) + 2] mph in order for a
camera to flash.

I am sure I didn't mention a flash. Looking back at my last post...
Yep, nothing about that.

Did you need to?

No. So why did you?

They do work by flashing.

Have you never seen one go off? It's a regular sight on the M25 in the
controlled areas. And on the A23 at Brighton. I've even seen a
forward-facing Truvelo flash when I was travelling towards it (not that
it did the Swiss authorities any good, since the motorbike that
triggered it on N2 at Lucerne didn't have a forward-facing numbr-plate).

FYI, the camera (hence the flash) is triggered by radar. I understand
that enforcement is done by comparing two photos taken with an
accurately defined interval, not the fact that the radar triggered the
camera.

Yes... yes... is there anything else, of which we are not all already
aware, by any chance?

Replying to my post proves you have no clue about the workings.

That is assuming a camera is fitted - I have seen boxes fitted with
flash but no camera. No harm if the threshold is lowered, should they
do that.

Causing unnecessary anxiety to people obeying the law is acceptable on
your planet, is it?

Getting people to think about their behaviour on the roads is a very
good idea.

Well, OK... I wonder what you'd say if more pedestriuans started
carrying sledge hammers and similar implements.

Eh?