Old September 22nd 17, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Build it and they won't come

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 18:57:12 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

But another factor is that even within a city there are
neighborhoods with virtually zero new bike sales and others
with very heavy purchases year after year.

Sure, but I think I can make a fairly simple assumption. 13 bicycle
dealers in a town of 85,000 is going to take some level of sales to
keep them in business. The sales are not going to be uniform in both
number of bicycles or gross revenue. I don't know exactly what those
numbers might be, but with 13 stores, it must be substantial enough to
fill the local infrastructure with bicycles, and not produce a ghost
town devoid of bicycles. People ride those bicycles somewhere. If
not the dedicated cycleways, then where do they ride?

The Stevenage bicycle paths were built in the late 1970's making them
about 37 years old.
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/sep/19/britains-1960s-cycling-revolution-flopped-stevenage
http://www.stevenage.gov.uk/52710/
http://www.stevenage.gov.uk/content/15953/16118/33198/Stevenage-Cycling-Map-with-Key.pdf
However, there are older dedicated bicycle paths in UK such as those
built in the 1930's:
"A 5-minute journey on a kerb-protected British cycleway ... built in
1937"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIGM6yVVrkg (4:53)
So maybe the problem is not unique to Stevenage?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D