Old October 5th 10, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Default Not a viable means of transport

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message

A good decision Trevor, if only I was as sensible as you. I only came
back because a poster here expressed glee at a female cyclist I know
getting crushed under a shed lorry load.

I said that God moves in mysterious ways, the method of death was worthy
of any TV show, such as 1001 ways to die.

I fail to see how, when somone dies as a result of a road traffic accident,
it could be deemed as worthy of a TV show. Perhaps if the person who died
was doing something incredibly stupid and incredibly dangerous there may be
some point. But this was merely a case of an unfortunate person, doing
something generally regarded as quite safe, but being involved in a fatal
accident.

I also questioned the lack of common sense of cyclists in using a road
that is known to be very dangerous. and it is quite possible that she
caused the lorry to swerve and shed its load. (no pun intended)

Anything is quite possible. It is quite possible the poor unfortunate woman
was pulling wheelies while riding against the traffic - unlikely, but quite
possible, and in which case there might be some reason to scoff at her
death. But as far as we know, this was not the case. All the woman was
guilty of doing is riding a bike on a busy roundabout. There is no evidence
that she caused anyone to swerve.

I know that cyclists often do stupid things. They often pull out of side
roads or onto roundabouts without looking or giving way. But the really
stupid thing they do is not take into account how stupid drivers might be
and what *they* might do. Things like lorries taking roundabouts too fast
while trying to pass a cyclist to close and losing control of their vehicle.
Which seems to me the most likely thing that happened whether this happened
or not.