Old August 14th 17, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Octalink ES25 replacement?

On 2017-08-13 17:38, John B. wrote:

[...]

... Or are they just "same old" but in a new style "that we can
announce as an improvement and charge more money for"?

They are cheap alright but, as unfortunately usual for bike
parts, have a very paltry service life. For the same money my MTB
buddy bought a massive front wheel bearing assembly for his Chevy
Express van and they last hundreds of thousands of miles. Not
just 5000.

Because you buy **** and expect it to last forever. Octalink was
abandoned a decade ago and sucked when it was current production --
as did ISIS and the small bearing BBs with OS spindles.

Quit whining and buy a 105 compact crank with a $16 external
bearing BB. Your bike has no historical value and maintaining a bad
standard will just bring you back in one or two years with the same
complaints -- and the endless comparisons to the longevity of 25lb
car parts.

Well I have to agree with your idea if not your attitude.

When buying a $1k mainstream bicycle I expect things to last. People
with external bearings out here fare no better as their BBs also develop
creaks and bearing play after a few thousand miles.

It's similar with road bikes. A friend only buys high-class hubs costing
north of $200 a pop. They don't last longer than mine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/