Old June 8th 13, 07:50 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
SMS

Default UK puts National Park Rangers on Mountain Bikes--U.S. Needs toDo the Same!

On 6/7/2013 5:02 AM, Blackblade wrote:

I guess you forgot the 0.00123 fatalities per million miles statistic we discussed ? Mountain Biking is, statistically, very safe indeed.

Per mile, it's one of the safest activities available. Per hour, it's
still pretty good, but less safe than walking. Of course it's not
necessary that everything be perfectly safe for everyone.

I think the key takeaway is that in terms of both safety and
environmental impact, mountain biking is one of the best activities to
encourage.

What would be good is if Vandeman could be educated to direct his
efforts to working against activities that actually do have a negative
impact, including horseback riding and motorized vehicles and motorized
boats. For that to happen he would have to abandon his addiction to junk
science and open his mind to scientifically sound, peer-reviewed,
studies. But since he's a promoter of junk science, that's just not
going to happen.