Old June 9th 13, 04:00 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default UK puts National Park Rangers on Mountain Bikes--U.S. Needs to Dothe Same!

On Saturday, June 8, 2013 11:50:35 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 6/7/2013 5:02 AM, Blackblade wrote:

I guess you forgot the 0.00123 fatalities per million miles statistic we discussed ? Mountain Biking is, statistically, very safe indeed.

Per mile, it's one of the safest activities available. Per hour, it's

still pretty good, but less safe than walking. Of course it's not

necessary that everything be perfectly safe for everyone.

I think the key takeaway is that in terms of both safety and

environmental impact, mountain biking is one of the best activities to

encourage.

What would be good is if Vandeman could be educated to direct his

efforts to working against activities that actually do have a negative

impact, including horseback riding and motorized vehicles and motorized

boats. For that to happen he would have to abandon his addiction to junk

science and open his mind to scientifically sound, peer-reviewed,

studies. But since he's a promoter of junk science, that's just not

going to happen.

Mountain biking is by far the most damaging activity allowed in any park. Horses don't "damage" nature, they ARE nature -- just like the deer. I know that's over your head. Have your mommie explain it to you.