Old January 7th 18, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: The awkward stage

@ 10:00

It snowed an inch in the night. I can remember when that would not
have deterred me; my skinny inch-and-a-quarter tires would cut right
through to pavement.

Well, that and I lived on a state highway, close to the village,
county, and state highway garages, across the street from the
emergency-dispatch building, half a block from the sheriff's
substation, and among two fire houses, two schools, and an ambulance
bay. People who skid on that road skid on salt. (One salt-skidder
slid into the Saab dealer, narrowly missed the gas pump, and took out
a row of newly-repaired cars. Shortly after that the dealer moved
from the location at the bottom of New Salem Hill to a spot at the top
of a hill and about a quarter mile from the road. I'm not sure there
was a connection.

What with the holidays, slick streets, early dark, and a cold that
started before Christmas and still hasn't gone away, I haven't been on
the bike since before our first snow on the ninth of December.

Which means that I'm not fit to go on a ride that's worth suiting up
for. I hope I finish darning my alpaca tights today. And I'd jolly
well better get my order for two pairs of silk tights into the mail.

I don't think I've looked for non-cotton sweat pants in Big R or the
sporting-goods store.

@20:27

Did get the order for tights into the mail.

There are still lots of thin spots in the alpaca tights, but I think
it will be safe to wear them on Tuesday.

There's a chance of rain, and both pairs of leave-the-house sweat
pants are partly cotton. But it's going to be much warmer -- the low
is predicted to be 25F (which accords rather oddly with 17F at the
lowest point on the graph, which shows 20F for the time I'd be
starting out.) So one pair of hand-knitted tights, possibly over
patched silk long johns or polyester "leggings" (footless pantyhose),
and definitely under ripstop wind pants, should be enough.

I hope I can get the bike out. The four-wheel drive truck takes up
more space in the garage than the car does. I have to turn sideways
to get behind it, and I can't cross in front of it -- where the bike
is -- at all.

It's going to be slightly above freezing for part of Monday, but no
sun, and there will have been snow the night before. On the other
hand, once across the bridge, I'll be on high-priority streets.

Now to find a place to go. International Foods isn't far, but it's on
Winona Avenue. And we have plenty of most of the stuff that I buy
there. (The "Palm" corned beef from New Zealand is excellent.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net