Old April 25th 17, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default torque wrench issues

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 3:13:21 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 14:22:04 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 1:19:49 AM UTC+1, wrote:

I'm not aware of any "torque to yield" bolts in use on bicycles.

Sure you are. Only they're not bolts but socket drive adaptors stamped "Made in China". If you're driving a 1/4in drive socket, use two of these adapters, 1/43/8 and 3/81/4 and the cheap metal of the drive adaptor will twist off in your expensive Snap-On socket long before the bolt is over-torqued.

Andre Jute
Lateral thinking

That's only if you use crappy tools. Crappy tools are too expensive
to depend on. I value my skin

If your skin is ever in danger even with crappy tools, you've been poorly trained, or haven't put your mind in gear. You're not supposed to hold the wrench with closed fingers, so that your knuckles get smashed if the tool slips. You're supposed to push the wrench with the flat of you hand and straight fingers so that what hits first if the wrench slips or breaks is the wrench, not your knuckles.

In any event, I was just making a joke about poor quality drive adaptors. I agree with you. Even if I will use a tool only once, I buy the best I can find. Example: a stud for a couple of bucks that can create damage worth a grand and change and too much of my even more valuable time if it is driven too deep, but which is torqued to only 0.5Nm. Bought a tool, did it right once, noted that it stands proud a bit at the correct torque, now turn it in with spanner between thumb and forefinger until I can just hook a fingernail into the proud standing thread. Perfect. (The manufacturer has since fixed the design by first hand flaring replacement studs, and then redesigning to build a self-stopper into the manufacturing process.)

Andre Jute
Not a compulsive obsessive. It's just cheaper in the long run to do it right first time. Anyhow, toolfondling is perfectly respectable hobby, and a lot cleaner than keeping a pet, especially if your pet, like mine, is a hedgehog: http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/1140/