Old November 11th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

Default Visiting Bike City in the world: Amsterdam

In article ,
Red Cloud writes:
On Nov 9, 1:15 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
Red Cloud writes:

Transportation fact in Amsterdam (1995)
1. Transporter usage in Amsterdam
Bicycle: 33%
Publican transporation: 25%
Private Automobile : 42%

2. Public Demostration for "Amsterdam car free!":
Amsterdam bicycle culture is resulted of the during 60's -
70's citizen
protest for the city witout automobile. They protest is about
preserving
the tradition street and building that could be destoryed by
the expand automobile roads.

3. Hump:
Physical barrier forcing the motorist to slow down so to
provide more safety for the biker

4. Woonerf: Progressive traffic policy
- Protect the biker and pedestrain from automobile
- First traffic policy in the world to protect the non-
motorist from automobile

5. 'Traffic death per 10,000 motorists
Amsterdam: 0.19
Major US City: 2.34

Amsterdam is a smallish, confined municipality
within a larger country. Fairly good hashish.
The putahs are happy to take your money and
then kick you out, and take on the next customer.

Bicycle theft is rampant, but I put that down
to a local cultural regard of bicycles as
communal chattles.

Ride beyond Amsterdam's city limits and you're
in the world at large. You're on your own,
which is good. You get a chance to spread your
shoulders a little. We North Americans
pathologically /need/ to be able to spread our
shoulders, and not be cramped or scrunched-in
among the madding throng. That's the real reason
why bike lanes are so disliked. A lot of the
North American concept of "freedom" involves having
enough room in which to swing a dog.

--

Your North American freedom was killing indian and animal for no
reason

So, what kind of bike are your riding, and how are you
transportationally using it?

I'm using a Canadian-built (Norco Sasquatch) MTB from the
mid-'80's, myself. It's a more backcountry touring than
a racing-oriented bike. I and it have endured a lot together.
Actually, not much of the original bicycle remains, except
the frame. I've gradually replaced a number of bits & pieces
with newer and better bits & pieces -- either purchased new,
or salvaged from discards. It continues to be a pretty good
workhorse, though. I was also fortunate enough to obtain a
nice cargo trailer for it.

Again, what do /you/ ride? (if anything.)
I'd like to see you put your money where your mouth is.

But I bet you can't.

We hear /you/ doing a lot of complaining, but we don't
see you walking the walk, or riding the ride, or doing
anything but bellyaching and being negative.

Any bonehead can do that.

What makes you not a bonehead?

--
Nothing is safe from me.