Old October 20th 14, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default No lights, dark clothing, no reflectives, no street lights.

On 20/10/2014 13:32, Bod wrote:
On 20/10/2014 13:21, Bod wrote:
On 20/10/2014 13:01, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/10/2014 12:58, Bod wrote:
On 20/10/2014 12:54, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/10/2014 12:23, TMS320 wrote:
"Judith" wrote
"TMS320" wrote:
"JNugent" wrote

Cycling through a red traffic light isn't causing danger to
others?

It might. Depends on how it is done. But not in my experience as
driver
and
pedestrian onlooker. There are much bigger sharks in the sea to
worry
about.

A Bournemouth cyclist has been jailed for 12 months following an
incident
in
which he rode through a red traffic light and collided with a
nine-year-old
girl, leaving her with a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain

It's a shame it occurred and it is probably a fair punishment for a
very
rare consequence. I don't image it provides any comfort to the 2 (at
least)
people *a day* that are routinely KSI'd on the roads (and hardly ever
reported on) while trying to get about on foot.

You mean the ones mown down by cyclists.

Cite?

They are not reported apparently.

Well here they a

Motor vehicles kill five times more pedestrians than cyclists, but
figures show risk of serious injury is similar relative to distance
travelled.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public...cle3986796.ece

And to put things in perspective (from the same article):

"Analysis of the past ten years of road casualty data by CTC showed that
cyclists killed 23 pedestrians in the decade to 2012 and seriously
injured 585.

In the same period, 3,330 pedestrians were killed by motor vehicles and
46,081 were seriously injured.
Research by the City of Westminster Council last year found that, in
collisions between pedestrians and cyclists, 60 per cent of the crashes
were caused by the pedestrian."

You'd find something similar if analysing deaths of pedestrians in
accidents involving motor vehicles as well*, but that is never taken to
mean that it's "just one of theose things" about which nothing can or
should be done. As a result, we have a road network with many physical
features and behavioural constraints in order to reduce the number of
such incidents. Traffic lights (eg, pelicons or pedestrian phases at
junctions) are one of those.

[* I have collided with two pedestrians in a little over forty-two years
driving. In either case, the fault was entirely the fault of the
pedestrian, though I am happy to report that due to my vigilance and
quick responses, no significant injury was caused either time.]