Old August 8th 05, 04:16 PM

Default Evaulating a bike

Paul Cassel wrote:
I'm riding a borrowed bike named a Giordana Spica. It was lent to me by
a friend who bought the entire bike for a few components. He lent it to
me for my use while he slowly assembles the rest of the parts he's
looking for to build a new bike for himself.

I may have a chance to buy this bike sometime later on either whole or
by replacing the few components he bought the entire bike for thus
leaving me with the parts he regards as surplus (such as frame and forks).

I've done some research on this bike learning it was a private label
built in Italy during the 80's and named after the importer (feminized
name). It's built of quality steel tubing and fits me fairly well - or
about as well as a standard bike will. By today's standards, it's heavy
at 22+ lbs.

My buddy is biased toward older bikes waxing wonderful about older bikes
and generally acts somewhat skeptical about the newer ones. He is an
expert - no doubt of that - but all experts have their biases. For
example, at a recent bike swap, he went nuts about some bike from the
late 70's because someone had done something or another on that model,
but to me, it was just an old bike. Lacking the heritage, I can't enjoy
the antiques.

I've grown to enjoy road riding quite a bit and want a bike for myself.
So my question is if I try to buy this bike from him or move to a newer
bike. I have no idea if technology has moved forward enough lately to
buy something new or if the new tech, like Ti, carbon and the new Al's
are really superior to this bike's heavier steel core. How does one
evaluate a bike? I do understand gradations in componentry like Dura-Ace
beats a 105 (even if I'm not entirely clear on nuances) - that's easy.
What I don't understand is how one evaluates the fundamentals of a bike.
Specifically, is an older (20+) years frameset dated? Does it work less
well compared to a newer bike? Has technology made significant progress
which, if I bought newer, would make me a happier or faster (or both?)
rider? The new bikes I look at in bike shops weigh 4 to 6 lbs less than
my current ride. That strikes me as a LOT, but does that translate into
a better ride?

I ask this because I know some pursuits are equipment dependent. For
example, years ago, my late wife (died young) who was a superb skier
wanted me to ski too. I bought $10 equipment and didn't think much of
it. She badgered me into buying top of the line stuff which made skiing
for me much more interesting and easier. OTOH, some pursuits are
equipment independent so those who buy fancy or new are more posers than
beneficiaries.

So I ask this group - is there anything new under the sun which is
significant in bike tech which would cause me to be happier on a new
tech bike such as the Giant OCR1 composite which is what I'm considering?

If there is a link to a 'bike evaluation' article, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

Here is my OPINION.

If you have no money, then finding or borrowing or stealing or buying
an old bike and enjoying bicycling is great.

Assuming you have some money, have an interest in riding more than just
around the block, not particularly enamored with being your own
mechanic, and have no preconceived bicycling biases, get a new bike.
Most new bicyclists fit into the description given. Biases and
mechanical ability come after you are a bicyclist. New bikes work
great without much fuss and last very well. They are easier to shift
(Ergo or STI) than the older bikes. And have better gearing (triples
and wide range cassettes).

Ride your borrowed bike to a shop and test ride some new bikes. Entry
level new road bikes start around $600 at bike shops. The main thing
to compare is how easy it is to shift with new bikes. And ride up a
steep hill and try the really low gears new bikes have.

It is possible to change your old borrowed bike to modern gear. But by
the time you buy the parts and pay a mechanic to do it, you are
probably half way or more to the cost of a new bike. Even if you learn
the mechanics yourself, it still costs a bit for the parts. Unless you
are starting with a valuable old bike, or one that has some sentimental
value to you, it isn't economic to upgrade run of the mill old bikes
with new components.