Old August 4th 05, 10:46 AM
Euan

Default Chain / Sprocket Cleaning

"1013" == 1013 writes:

1013 I would like to remove my chain to clean it properly since
1013 there is a lot of build up of dirt and grime. I am pretty sure
1013 the chain is a Shimano chain and I have read that you need
1013 special tools to remove it.

I physically shuddered looking at those pics. Eeyuck!

I've not had to clean something quite so...dirty so can't offer advice
there. I *can* tell you what I do to keep mine from ever getting like
that though.

My lube of choice is ProLink. On a cleaned chain I put a drop of oil on
each rivet. Nowhere else, just the rivets. That's where the wear
occurs, if you put lube all over the chain that will just attract dirt.

I generally do this in the evening which allows gravity to do it's work
overnight and pull the lube through the rivets. This helps pull
embedded grit out from between the links. In the morning I wipe the
chain down with a clean rag, removing any excess from the surface of the
chain.

From then on it's a case of rinse and repeat. I do this about every
150-200kms. Two or three minutes every 150-200 kms saves a lot of
heartache. Every couple of weeks I take the rear wheel off and clean
in between the cogs with a rag.

If it rains I wipe down the chain with some paper towels and apply a bit
of lube.

Before going to the trouble of cleaning your chain you may want to check
it for stretch. Dirty as it is I'm betting your chain's doing a
passable impression of a torture victim on the rack. Previously posted
links will tell you how to do that. If your chain's stretched forget
about cleaning it and just get a new one.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,