Old March 10th 16, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Heine on inflation

On 2016-03-10 09:08, sms wrote:
On 3/10/2016 5:03 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://janheine.wordpress.com/

Good article, it dispels the myth that tire pressure doesn't matter and
that the sidewall will support the tire regardless of the pressure.

However, there is stuff in there that I disagree with.

What is not really true, in many cases, is that the reduced rolling
resistance of higher pressure tires is offset by vibration losses. If
the bicycle has suspension, then these vibration losses are not present.

Not really. My full suspension MTB vibrates like crazy on some sections
of trail. This is because you have to run with fairly high pressure in
the shocks for the other more gnarly secitions so you won't bottom out.

And of course on smooth roads, the vibration losses are minimal even
without suspension.

For example, my Dahon and my Bromptons both have suspension to reduce
vibration transmitted to the rider, an especially important feature on
smaller-wheeled bicycles. A great many hybrids and sport touring bikes
also have some sort of suspension, a suspension fork and/or a suspension
seat post, and of course nearly every mountain bike sold these days has
suspension.

This is the kind of vibration I have on just about every MTB ride (movie
is by another rider but same area):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5cjAW_nrl4

It can be so bad that after an hour of this the wrists hurt a bit at
night. Something considered "normal" by local MTB riders. It is also a
good test for newly designed electronics which I have strapped to the
bike for that purpose.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/