Old December 7th 17, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 23:22:35 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 12/6/2017 9:44 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
I mentioned upthread using my B&M halogen
headlight on dusk-to-dawn brevets and PBP. I saw quite well with that
light, but most of those rides were far out on rural roads with very
little ambient light or light pollution. In town that light is washed
out on the road by street lights, car headlights, etc. Technically
the road is just as brightly illuminated by the lamp as in the
country, but the greater ambient light in town impairs night vision
by comparison to a very dark countryside. Thus the light seems less
effective. And since we're seeing with our eyeballs and not spot
meters, it is less effective in town.

I get good benefit out of a cycling cap with a brim, including at night.
Similarly, I use the visors in my car a lot, including at dusk. It
really helps my night vision to shade my eyes from street lights, the
brighter night sky due to the last bits of sunlight or light pollution.
And of course, if some idiot refuses to dim his high beams, these things
are godsends.

(About idiots: Yesterday I was in my car, stopped at a red light at
about 9 AM. The pickup truck lawn service guy facing me had his bright
headlights on, glaring in my eyes. I blinked my headlights once, then
once again, trying to get him to dim his lights. His response? He turned
on the off-road light bar on the roof of his cab. There's no shortage of
idiots.)

Maybe he thought that you were "winking" at him :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.