Old January 7th 18, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Joerg Antidote

On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 12:42:34 PM UTC-8, Radey Shouman wrote:
Sorry, Joerg, I needed a subject and "Ride Report" seemed too grandiose.

First ride of the new year: -5F and breezy, but at least the sun was
shining. Went to town, about four miles, for yoga practice, after
breaking out the ski bibs and the balaclava. I did wear my Adidas
sneakers, on Lou's recommendation, they worked ok but I'm almost
resolved to acquire a bicycle that can be comfortably ridden in big
rubber boots.

It was nice day here in PDX. I was in cleats and did a short-ish ride. I then drove my son around in the car on routes that we ordinarily ride together. He was visiting from Salt Lake and had a big accident when we were skiing on Mt. Hood on Christmas eve. Anyway, he ended up with a lot of hardware in both ankles (pilon fractures) and is now in a wheelchair for 12 weeks and living at our house. I have to fight him for the Velo News. My wife and I bundled him into the car along with his wheelchair and went over to Breakside -- great IPA. https://www.breakside.com/beer/breakside-ipa2/ Then we drove around the West Hills. I scraped the undercarriage coming up Brynwood -- which I rode last weekend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0lUZG8pku8 Go to 3:30 to get a sense of the grade. It's a killer.

This is a long wind-up for my platform pedal story. I used one when I was riding in an ortho boot following my ski fractures about ten years ago. I had to modify a giant MTB toe clip to keep the boot from slipping off the pedal. My orthos were horrified, but hey, if you can walk on it, why not ride? The downside about riding in boots of any kind is that you scuff up the crank arms.

-- Jay Beattie.