Old June 17th 17, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: sometimes I hate being a scofflaw

Sometimes two wrongs make a right.

When I got back from last Saturday's windy ride, I threw my do-rag
into a bucket of water and started slicing left-over corned beef and
frying it. I did have perishables in the pannier, but they were on
ice, so I waited until after we had eaten to unpack.

After unpacking, I wanted to throw my jersey into the other bucket,
but my black tights were sweaty too, they had never been washed, and I
don't have a third bucket. So I undressed into the washing machine
and set it for "rinse and spin".

Sunday morning I was horrified to see the "done" light on the washing
machine -- my red bra and my white do-rag may have been pressed
tightly together all night! I started another "rinse and spin" cycle
in case something had started growing in the clothes. When I took
them out, I couldn't find the do-rag.

I'd forgotten to take it out of the bucket and put it in with the
other stuff.

Bearing the above incident in mind after yesterday's ride, I set a
timer to go off every two minutes after I found the washer spinning. I
got the stuff out of the washer a minute or less after it stopped
wringing, and put it all on hangars (except for the do-rag, which I
dry on my brake cable).

I felt pretty smug about not repeating the mistake I'd made before.

But when I started to put on my hat and gloves this morning, I
remembered that I'd put the gloves into a bucket because they were
crusty with salt, and they bleed like a stuck pig.

Which they haven't gotten over yet; the water was quite black. I
poured it off and put fresh water on, then went to get my shabby old
gloves, but I would have had to clean the entire cupboard to find
them, and I'm not at all sure they aren't still in my mending basket,
so I wore my all-plastic winter gloves. (The mesh-back gloves are too
thick to wear under other gloves.)

Today's trip to the farmer's markets was perfunctory, but I did come
back by the Beyer Farm Trail and stop at Owen's for milk and
anchovies. Last Saturday's return was -- pretty much like yesterday's
ride, except that I went north of Winona Lake instead of south of it,
and stopped at Aldi instead of Big R. And crossed 30 on 350 W instead
of Fox Farm. And had a single-decker tostada instead of the
double-decker Taco Bell calls a "Mexican pizza". And got home in time
for supper instead of having french fries at Burger King.

And I got an idea that could have been made into this week's Aunt
Granny post -- if I'd written it down.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net