Old September 23rd 10, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default Cement for Rubber?

On 9/23/2010 11:56 AM, Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
The bike rack on my wife's car has its jaws lined with strips of rubber
-- pretty much inner tube rubber. The cement holding them in place came
loose early one. I've tried to re-cement them using contact cement, but
that didn't hold well. Does anyone know what's a good way to get rubber
to stick to painted steel?

I've had some luck gluing difficult surfaces with polyurethane glue
(e.g. "Gorilla Glue"), beware, it does expand/foam, so can drip. In the
past, I've used a product called "Plio-bond", available at the hardware
store, which seemed particularly good at gluing rubber to smooth
surfaces (kind of like industrial rubber cement), don't know if it's
still around. An inelegant, but often workable solution, is to use
"double sticky" tape, particularly the compressible stuff. Silicone
sometimes also works on smooth surfaces, don't know about rubber.