Old September 23rd 10, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default Cement for Rubber?

On 9/23/2010 12:23 PM, landotter wrote:
On Sep 23, 10:56 am, Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:
The bike rack on my wife's car has its jaws lined with strips of rubber
-- pretty much inner tube rubber. The cement holding them in place came
loose early one. I've tried to re-cement them using contact cement, but
that didn't hold well. Does anyone know what's a good way to get rubber
to stick to painted steel?

--

Two part epoxy. It'll stick anything to anything.

It'll stick to many things, but not all. The problem with epoxy as an
adhesive is that it's fairly brittle and doesn't stick well to many
smooth surfaces. Urethane glues seem to adhere better and retain some flex.