Old January 4th 17, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On 2017-01-04 11:52, David Scheidt wrote:
Joerg wrote:
: :them my result were less stellar than in Europe with the classic kits.
: :Those contain much thicker patches that looked like round chunks of
: :tube, sometimes slightly beveled. Can't find those here in the US.
:
: Rema patches in action:
: https://scontent.ford4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...bb&oe=58E69CCC
:
: https://scontent.ford4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...9c&oe=58E45D94
:
: That tube is still in service, two years later.
:

:Impressive. I wouldn't even have tried to repair that one.

:One significant difference is that my tubes are much thicker in their
:walls. 3mm on the road bike and 4mm on the MTB. So the tube material is
:many times thicker than REMA patches.

:
: :The question is why would be the good ones to buy?
:
: I use rema f1, which are round and 25 mm in diameter. Box of 100
: costs ~20 bucks. A half pint bottle of vulcanizing flouid, which will
: do hundreds of patches, and last for years (mine has been in my dsk
: for five years) costs ~$10 at an auto parts store (very expensive to
: ship, buy local.).
:

:The "Slime" brand is cheaper. Do you think the one below works as well?
:I was not impressed with their self-healing tubes but this seems to be
ther stuff.

:https://www.amazon.com/Slime-1050-Ru.../dp/B003V9UU66

That's what's in my desk at work. Works fine.

Thanks. I shall order that along with our next Amazon shipment.

:Also, I'd like to cement on real (thicker) tube material instead of REMA
atches. Don't see a reason why this shouldn't be possible.

There's a really good one: The working surface of a patch is made of
unvulcanized rubber. A tube is vulcanized. With vulcanized rubber on
both sides, there will only be weak cross-linking, and it won't be
good bond. Go ahead and try it, but expect failure. Repair units
exist for a reason.

Ok, then I'll have to order patches as well. I wonder what they were
selling in Europe. It was black, much thicker than REMA and looked like
tube rubber. But had a peel-off surface in back. We'll have German
guests in October, maybe I can have some shipped to their house.

Do REMA patches have an expiration date?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/