Old January 5th 17, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 14:50:23 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

John B. wrote:
:On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 02:47:50 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

:John B. wrote:
::On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 17:04:40 -0800, Joerg
::wrote:
:
::Gentlemen,
::
::Is there something stronger than the usual rubber cement in the patch
::kits? Ideally something that won't dry out so fast or where multiple
::cheap small tubes are available.
::
::The reason is that I sometimes have larger holes from side wall
::blow-outs. Not inch-long gashes but one or two tenths of an inch long.
::The tubes I use are super thick and, therefore, expensive. $15-20 each
::and that's not something to be thrown out lightly. Instead of the li'l
::REMA patches I need to use thicker rubber from an older sacrified tube
::but this has to be vulcanized/cemented really well.
:
::My LBS usually has small sealed tubes of glue. When I see them I buy
::four or five and when I open a sealed tube, in the kit on the bike, I
::replace it with another sealed one as find the glue has dried up is
::not quite so much of a catastrophe at home :-)
:
::Or you might try contact cement what I suspect is what is in the usual
::tire patching kit.
:
::By the way, "vulcanizing" implies the use of heat, and sulphur, and I
:
:Vulcanizing may have the connotation of involving heat, but it's a chemical
:reaction, which results in the sulphur in the rubber becoming
:crosslinked.

:It is a chemical reaction that occurs very slowly and incompletely
:without heat. Try mixing raw latex with powdered sulphur if you don't
:believe it.

Yes, but fortunately the world has smart chemists who have invented
processes that work better than sulphur and heat do. Vulcanizing
accelerators are used in pretty much every rubber production process,
because it gives better results, is faster, and requires less energy.

Yes, you are correct in that the original vulcanizing system is no
longer used. But the term, seemingly originating in the 1800's, does
rather imply the Encyclopedia Britannica description, the heating of
rubber in the presence of sulphur.
--
cheers,

John B.