Old January 8th 17, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 12:59:14 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 08:56:40 -0800 (PST),
wrote:
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 8:48:56 AM UTC-8, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 07:42:55 -0800 (PST),
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 10:38:15 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 9:33:31 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?

If your unit is a cup rather than a cartridge then tghis do it
yourself tool from Sheldon Brown (RIP) works wonders.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

It's towards the bottom of the page under "Fixed-Cup Tools".

https://www.google.com/#q=removing%2...%3Ayoutube.com

Thanks guys, but I need to get the adjustable cup off before I
could use Sheldon's tool on the fixed cup.

Ted, I don't quite follow. You are talking about using a pin
spanner and then say that you need to get the adjustable cup
off first. Isn't that what we were talking about? The lock nut
on the adjustable side and the fixed cup do not use pin
spanners as far as I know.

Sorry. I have the lock ring off on the left, non-drive side, and
am left with an adjustable cup that will only turn partway. The
fixed cup is still in place too (on the other side), so the
spindle is in place and blocks putting in the bolt and nut that
Sheldon describes.

For what it's worth, the fixed cup also seems to be pretty stuck.
It's an aluminum frame, so presumably the shell is aluminum too
and there may be some corrosion in the interface between the two
different metals of the shell and the cups?

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA

if you search on aluminum/steel frame/shells/cups install or remove there should be an avalanche of umbrage.

if your system shows white material in joints then poss an ionic binding occurred between steel and aluminum. Andy Muzi is an expert on this.

Blaster does not dissolve the white material. Uneeda torch and another pin tool.

expanding aluminum with torch or heat gun will remove the cup.