Old July 28th 03, 03:36 AM
Rich Clark

Default From NYTimes about the Tour/ Lance Broken Frame?

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
I was glancing through the New York Times daily headline e-mail, and
noticed an article about the Tour. When I went to it, I caught the
following as part of a discussion of what a weird Tour it was:

"He began the race with lower intestinal problems and crashed in stages
one and 15. He also momentarily rode through a hayfield in stage nine
and endured a broken frame and bad shoes. He also lost 10 pounds in heat
of the 12th stage individual time trial."

So, when did he endure a broken frame? Somehow I did not see that on OLN,
nor any reference to it. Maybe Trek sponsors the OLN broadcast?

In the crash on Stage 15, his right chainstay was cracked. This is was
apparently also at least partly the cause of the near-dismount that happened
shortly after he restarted: the chain autoshifted due to chainstay flex when
Lance stood and hammered. Apparently he finished the climb and won the stage
without doing much shifting thereafter.

This was covered on all the usual cycling news sites, and Bob Roll did
mention it on the preview show for the next stage, IIRC.

Try this:

http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefranc...7,5612,00.html

RichC