Old May 27th 19, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Bottle holder

On Sun, 26 May 2019 15:23:41 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 26 May 2019 14:17:51 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Handlebar mounted water bottles lost favor with fashionable cyclists
due to competition from other devices that are hung on the handlebars.

(...)

What to do if you run out of space on your handlebars:
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/nitto-light-bar.jpg
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/nitto-light-bar2.jpg
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/nitto-light-bar3.jpg
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/light-mounts.php
Might be some room left for water bottles.

More on Rivnuts:
http://www.pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-178.html
Frame failed at water bottle boss. This is an aluminum frame
with a crimp-in "Riv-Nut"-style threaded boss. The frame is drilled
and the boss installed; the hole slightly weakens the frame and
the crimping creates some local stresses. A typical alternative
is to weld in a boss. In some cases, the weakening and stress-riser
effects of welding and of the boss section may weaken the frame
more than drilling a hole and using a Riv-Nut.

Yup, that's one. If I had my camera I could post you a photo of a bike
that must be 15 years old now with rivnuts in the down and seat tubes.
No failure yet.

But never mind the rivnuts the damned front fork broke, and the rims,
and what appears to be the bottom bracket.

They just don't make them like they used to.
--
cheers,

John B.