Old June 8th 20, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default in praise of standards

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 2:44:07 PM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Sometime in t he future we'll be seeing a great push to make derailleur + internal gearing on the same bike a new standard.

You're probably too young to remember, Ridealot, but 5+3 (or whatever combination; Slow Johnny will look it up for us) as in 5 internal hub gears coupled with a cluster of three external gears was the big thing from Sturmey Archer a long time ago, again more recently (it was offered by my fave German baukast as an alternative to Rohloff 20-30 years ago), and is probably still offered as an OEM group to manufacturers of commuting bikes.

Andre Jute
The view beyond my street corner is entrancing