Old September 19th 18, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Who is a real cyclist ?

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 12:16:02 AM UTC-7, davethedave wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 15:39:29 -0700, sltom992 wrote:

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 10:17:52 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 11:04:15 PM UTC+1,
wrote:

I think I already described to you that I was driving home across the
San Mateo Bridge and that I was passed by every single car doing 100
mph. Finally here comes a cop doing about 90 mph in an SUV. What does
he do? He pulls me over for being suspicious - I was going the limit
of 60 mph on the bridge.

You rebel, you!

AJ Iconoclast

While I was pulling out my registration etc. he saw that I'm a
handicapped driver and sort of was embarrassed. But through a
misunderstanding I didn't have the latest license sticker on so he
issued me a ticket for that. I had sent everything in with all of the
proper payments but there is this new smog standard that you have to get
every couple of years in California and I had gotten the incorrect
version and sent all of that paperwork in. But of course DMV didn't send
me anything back saying that I had gotten the incorrect smog test. Cost
me several hundred to get that all straightened out.

Thanks to that concussion I don't have any real balance. It has to all
be done via eyesight. So I can't walk a straight line and I can't tip my
head back and balance on one foot hence I am handicapped and can only be
issued a drunk test via the "breathalyzer".

The British are always profoundly amazed at the American walk the line
drunk test. It's very much a matter of the officer's opinion and has no
basis in science at all. I for one would not wish my future to be held
solely in the hands of on officer who may have had a bad day and be
looking to take it out on someone. The breathaliser at least is
moderately consistent, not high on it's own power and uncaring of skin
colour.

In the meantime they have made pot legal and they have no way of testing
for inhibited driving due to pot.

There are a lot of perfectly legal drugs for which they can't test
either. Many pain killers advise against driving. There is no real easy
answer to the problem of impaired driving.
--
davethedave

While I have run into cops who are power crazed I adjudge them to be rather rare. Though you have to remember that all it takes is for one of these to use the code for "officer needs assistance" and without asking any questions the responding cops will treat you as a public danger and only until to are completely neutralized with they start asking questions. But these questions leading to why the cop would have put out that call can have consequences. The cop that went crazy on me is in a rather low job now with him being relegated to staffing the police booth at the farmer's market and such. Every time I walk by I look at him and smile. Plainly he won't be getting any promotions at our police station and no one else wants him. He should have a nice long career reflecting on pulling a gun out and telling me he would blow my brains out.