Old October 24th 16, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Vitus 979: Removing Cranks and Bottom Bracket?

The cranks have "Shimano 600" printed on them.

-- Will a universal crank puller like the ones sold for a few dollars on eBay work? Or do I need a Shimano crank puller like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealey-BC020...AOSwAuZX1vx s ? Or do I need something else?

-- The Vitus has a cup and cone crank. Can I put new bearings in? If so what are the important specs on the bearing to search for them on eBay? Or how does one proceed with a rebuild of the bottom bracket?

Thank you for any help. I bought this bike in 1987 brand new. I have not ridden this too much in the last ten years but am now enjoying it regularly again. It's a little creaky at the bottom bracket, and I would at least like to inspect down there, if it's at all possible.