Old July 27th 05, 09:07 PM
Sheldon Brown

Default Brake Trouble / Road Bike

Jobst Brandt wrote:

Somehow these threads drift off into unrelated topics, probably to
defend a defenseless position that no one else knows the writer holds
until defended here.

You were the one who brought up the issue of using a hammer and punch,
with your categorical statement that "I don't believe it was ever
appropriate."

The subject of this thread was centering a modern high quality Shimano
brake, not steel caliper Raleigh brakes of decades ago. Even those
brakes recognized the problem and made spring bosses pressed onto
knurled center bolts that were pressed in place to assist adjusting
brake position.

That's not correct. The "spring bosses" were either threaded onto the
center bolts (for the cheaper models) or were a slip fit over the center
bolts. The part involved was a single casting, nothing knurled, no way
to rotate the front vs the back.

Let's leave the hammer and punch in the historic bin.
There is no place for them on any recent aluminum alloy brake caliper.

That's true.

Sheldon "Loves Old Raleighs" Brown
| The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, |
| as well as the poor, to sleep under the bridges, |
| to beg in the streets, and to steal bread. |
| --Anatole France |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide