Old June 25th 06, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default My groin hurts!

gareth price wrote:
I've started back after a long break from cycling and am now going into work
on the bike but boy does my groin hurt I've got a lightweight saddle(Selle
italia) and wear cycling shorts(carrati) as well I'm think of swopping the
saddle over for something a bit more comfortable but still reasonably
lightweight and getting some new high quality short and I'd like some
recommendations...

When you say "groin" I presume you mean the actual part of your body
that's taking your weight against the saddle? The first thing to check
is that this is the correct bit of your anatomy. If you prod around the
sensitive area you will find two small bony bits, one either side.
These are the bits that should take your weight.

If the tenderness is right in the middle, between the sit bones, then
you need to adjust your seating position, or even change your saddle
for one that fits you better. Selle Italia are generally excellent
saddles, but this is one piece of equipment where the ideal can differ
widely from one rider to the next.

If the sore bit is right over those bones then your saddle is making
contact with the correct area and you probably just need to go through
the toughening up process again. I've noticed that returning cyclists
seem to suffer far more from initial tenderness than complete
beginners. I guess this is because they're able to start immediately
with serious distances, whereas beginners are more likely to build up
the distance and the toughness together.

--
Dave...