Old April 7th 14, 07:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:

I am not much for anecdotes either, but when they are all
saying the same thing, you have to sit up and take notice. Note that many of my
reports are not overwhelmingly against bikes on trails. Like you, some of them
believe it is possible to compromise. They are merely reporting their
experiences.

They are indeed ... and, as you say, many are far less extreme than you. However, I refer you to your own point ... what about all the people who DON'T have any negative experiences ? They are just as valid in understanding what is going on BUT they won't write anything will they ?

This is why, to get a real perspective, you have to ask EVERYONE ... or at least a reasonable sample of everyone ... otherwise you are never going to get the broad picture.

It is only necessary to get input from serious hikers and equestrians. The vast majority of people using the trails will never report anything. They are like sheep and will go along to get along. In short, they don’t count. Who counts are those who are protesting the depredations of bikers on trails. There are more than enough of them to count for something serious.

You are so far out of the loop that you simply have no idea what is going on in the arena of trail conflicts. Your ignorance of the issues is abysmal. Why not read the following to get some clues. It relates to the late great state of California and not so to some backwoods area of England where apparently according to you all is tranquility.

To California State Park Director Major General Anthony Jackson,

The California State Park Commissioners,

Resource Directors

PLEASE DO SOMETHING NOW!
MOUNT DIABLO STATE PARK IS WRITING THE ROAD AND TRAIL PLAN AS I WRITE
THIS! *******

Where as:
1. I have a reasonable expectation to feel safe while on a trail in a
California State Park.

Note the difference between Ca. State Parks, Ca. State Recreation
Areas, and Off Road Vehicle Parks.

I should be able to be on a trail in a Ca. State Park and not feel
that a mountain bike rider will be speeding at me around the next
turn, or coming at me from behind. Increased documented accidents
nation wide show this to be a risky mix. Let us risk rattle snakes,
poison oak, steep trails, but NOT reckless behavior from other
people! That should NOT be happening in our State Parks. Lack of law
enforcement to deal with the unlawful bike riders has led to
displacement of other Park users who no longer feel SAFE on the
trails. Bird watching a thing of the past? Elderly folks forced to
dodge mechanical forward motion propelled metal "weapons" with riders
dressed to crash and burn? This is reality and what a shame.
At many of the trail entrances in Ca. State Parks there are signs
cautioning the presence of Rattle Snakes. Park officials must know
that the trails are being over run by renegade mountain bikers, which
is a more likely encounter than a Rattle Snake! They simply act as if
they don't know about this SAFETY HAZARD. If they were to acknowledge
it there would be warning sings cautioning the likely-hood of
engaging a speeding cyclist. By ignoring this safety hazard they are
blatantly setting themselves up for a class action lawsuit.

2. I have a reasonable expectation when I visit a Ca. State Park that
I may enjoy nature in peace and get away from the hustle and bustle.

When I take my family to the Ca. State Parks and we go out on the
trails I expect to be in nature. We want to see wildlife and leave
the tension of the world behind. We want to be able to stop and close
our eyes and listen to the birds singing and smell the fresh sages.
We do not want to worry about a speeding mountain biker coming at us.
We found that ruins the experience. We do not want to keep our guard
up. Ca. State Parks needs to revise their mission statement from
providing recreation to providing wreckreation. They are displacing
the "old fashioned" user groups for this new group that wants extreme
experiences of thrill.

3. I have a reasonable expectation that resources will be protected
in a Ca. State Parks.

Along with providing recreation it is the mission of Ca. State Parks
to protect resources. The land, waters, animals, plants, everything
in Ca. State Parks is supposed to be protected. Recreation should
take a back seat to resource destruction. The health of the parkland
is dependent on good decisions that protect the parks looking seven
generations ahead. State Parks are charged with this important
obligation. Illegal trail building by mountain bikers is common in
the Ca. State Park system. Built often along creeks and other water
ways displaying complete disregard for cut down trees. They build
bridges and jumps. Trails are popping up faster than they can be
recorded. Proper trail maintenance of trails helps with resource
protection. Trail crews should devote their time to maintaining
trails and not covering up the illegally constructed ones. It must be
impossible to keep up with the added work or those illegal trails
would be dealt with. They are not.

4. I have a reasonable expectation that Ca. State Parks Staff Leaders
will look ahead to the future as far as seven generations and make
decisions accordingly.

Do not open up the "flood waters" please. I understand Mount Diablo
State Park is being reviewed for adding more multi use
trails. Mountain Bikes in Ca. State Parks should be kept to dirt
roads. Developing multi use trails will only invite more illegal use
in the back country of parks. There are websites that must be
visited to prove my point. Go to YouTube videos enter Mount Diablo
Downhill, extreme mountain biking. You will see the proof boasted by
the violators themselves. Enter the name of a trail not open to
mountain bikers and watch as wildlife and people run for their lives.
The camera shows cross country riding and bikers flipping off Rangers
in a video or two. Visit STRVA a site dedicated to promote speed
competition. This is happening right now on Ca. State Park trails and
dirt roads. People want to be "King of the Mountain" and be the
fastest recorded using GPS. With this knowledge it would be a huge
mistake to ignore these warnings.The situation is already out of control.
Offer Ca. State Park Recreation Areas to mountain bike enthusiasts
and keep them off the trails in Ca. State Parks.
Stand strong in your mission to keep park visitors safe and resources
protected as you have been charged to do by the people of California.

Sincerely, Sue Schwartz
Please reply back through email

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain bikers!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great