Old June 8th 04, 04:22 AM
Ron Wallenfang

Default East Coast Greenway NYT article

Good information, probably. I have an ultimate goal of riding in all 50
states. (I have 42 right now.) For the just completed trip, I needed to
pick up Vermont and Maine, and did the former while northbound and the
latter while southbound. With that focus, I didn't seriously look at the
possibiity of the Hudson Valley, but can see your point. You are certainly
correct that east-west routes in the northeastern US are almost always
hilly. That was the case with every one that I rode this year.

"Ken Roberts" wrote in message
Ron Wallenfang wrote
I have no idea what better route there is.

The chances of happy riding are much better in the Hudson River valley --
see
http://roberts-1.com/bikehudson/r/m/long_distance
for some ideas about planning a route, and
http://roberts-1.com/bikehudson/r/nyc_albany
for a detailed route from NYC to Albany which offers lots of pretty
alternatives to the obvious major roads.

For ideas for riding north from Albany along the Hudson River, see these
reports:
http://roberts-1.com/bikehudson/v/no.../river/reports
and check the link to hannah's report about her Montreal-to-NYC tour.

The amazing Amit has _skated_ all the way from NYC to Lake George. I have
skated about half of that so far, and enjoyed it a lot. Sharon and I keep
going back and riding the off-the-main routes along the Hudson River again
and again, we enjoy them so much.

at its best, it's a very hilly ride.

Yes, if you go east-west between the major river valleys of the

northeastern
U.S., like between the Hudson River and the Connecticut River. If you

take
the Delaware River to the Wallkill River valley northeast to the Hudson
River and keep going north, the hills not so bad (though surely not

absent).

Ken