Old April 10th 04, 09:00 PM
Pete Biggs

Default Bottom Bracket/General Frustration advice please?

Saint wrote:
Prior to Xmas I bought a new bike at a shop which is not my LBS but
nonetheless seemed ok. I wanted a second bike for general buggering
about on. They were selling it quite cheap whereas my LBS has a
reputation for being rather pricey.

However, having now done a good few hundred miles on it I have
noticed that the shifting, particularly at the front, continues to be
very hit and miss and the bottom bracket creaks like hell, which is
driving me absolutely nuts. I initially put the shifting down to
general cable stretch and duly took it back to the shop (3rd time)
where I bought it who inform me that they again adjusted/stripped it
all and that the creaking was due to the aluminium/steel relationship
between frame and bracket and that this was normal. They have now
made 3 attempts to sort it out and its no better. The set is Tiagra
and it generally starts after about 10 mins riding - hence the fact
it doesn't happen on the stand or outside the shop!!

Anyway, first ride out today post latest 'fix' and the problem is
worse than ever.

Are you quite sure it's the BB that's creaking? What else have you
eliminated and how?

Added to which the bloody chain kept coming off. I
know I should take it back but I have lost confidence on the shop's
competence and am looking at other options:

1. Swapping the bike altogether - shame as I really like it.

Don't then. Although creaks can be hard to track down, the problems are
not serious and can be fixed. Try another bike shop or learn to DIY.

2. Upgrading the bottom bracket/chainring and derailleurs to
something like Ultegra - would this make a difference?

If it does, it'll just be coincidence.

Also how much
would this cost (roughly?)

See www.wiggle.co.uk to get an idea of bike shop prices (for Shimano).