Old September 24th 18, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Chicago: Minus one cyclist

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 7:48:35 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/23/2018 8:15 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/23/2018 6:33 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 10:14:27 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://maggionews.com/1-man-killed-...ings-saturday/

But he probably wasn't wearing a helmet.
--
Cheers

John B.

Bring your 4" tires to ride in Milwaukee:
https://fox6now.com/2018/09/23/cycli...kee-streetcar/

And a helmet to keep your head out of the track.

Street cars puzzle me. They have much higher first cost than buses, they
have much less route flexibility than buses. Their tracks introduce new
hazards.

Sure, they're trendier, and fashion is ridiculously powerful, but buses
could be made just as fashionable.

https://humantransit.org/2009/07/str...ent-truth.html

--
- Frank Krygowski

Buses tend to run through residential neighborhoods. The roads in these areas ARE NOT constructed for the loads that buses put on them. So maintenance costs of the roads along bus routes usually are much higher than normal residential streets. While streetcars have a higher initial cost the costs of rail repairs are pretty low. They completely repaved a road three blocks away from me. Then during the repairs to an adjoining main road all of the traffic was taking that repaved road and after two years it is completely broken up with potholes and almost gravel over its entire length of three blocks. Welcome to the real world.