View Single Post
Old August 29th 18, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Roof Racks

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 3:53:58 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 1:45:20 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 8/27/2018 1:13 PM, wrote:
Has anyone had any damage to bikes simply from using a rood rack? A friend of mine had his C40 Colnago have its head tube simply break off. To me it looks like a manufacturing error but I wonder if it was caused because for 15 years he was carrying the bike on a roof rack. I can't imagine the bumps and centrifugal force and wind sheers not having some sort of effect.

Was he using a fork mount rack (a bad idea) or a rack where the bike has
both wheels in a tray and bike is held onto the rack by the frame (a
good idea). Newer racks, designed for carbon fiber bicycles, hold the
bike by the wheels, with no frame contact, because you don't want to
damage the carbon fiber tubes with clamps or other hold downs.

But usually it's the fork that is damages, not the head tube.

I ride regularly with head of products for Yakima. They have virtually no problems with fork mounts that are not user-caused. I've been using Yakima fork mount roof racks since they were invented without any problems, except when my wife drove under a low over-hang with my Supersix on a fork-mount rack. All of the claimed problems had to do with dropouts, AFAIK. I've never heard tale of a head-tube falling off, but I could ask. Why do people buy Colnago? I'm always hearing about them falling apart.

-- Jay Beattie.

Most people who buy Colnago do so for the latest technology advances. As far as handling I've never noticed them to be any better than all of the other top line bikes. And I've found Pinarello to be better than most.
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home