Old January 16th 19, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Electric dangers

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 08:18:29 -0800, jbeattie wrote:

On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 8:00:58 AM UTC-8,
wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 7:03:05 PM UTC-8, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 17:14:43 -0800, Mark J. wrote:

On 1/14/2019 3:22 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 13:36:48 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/14/...de-news-man-s-
electric-bike-explodes-almost-starts-bushfire

I liked the part where it was said that "The motor's lithium
batteries and CO2 cartridges from its repair kit had ignited".

I suspect that the reporter might have a bit at odds with the
facts at that point.

I noticed that too; I think the intent was "batteries ignited and
CO2 cartridges /exploded/," which fits the later text and makes
sense in context. Then an editor caught hold of it.

Mark J.

ALL gas sylinders explode over here, even though they are engineered
to vent the contents at too high a pressure. IME, CO2 cartridges
don't have that enginering, so theryprobably did explode. Situated
above the flamming battery probably wasn't a good position in this
case.

This is not exploding in the shrapnel sense. The metal end cap is a
small percentage of the actual strength of the cylinder. Heat builds up
the pressure and the end cap lets loose and the worse thing would be
the cylinder sailing around. I suppose if you were at ground zero you
could get a bruise or break a bone.

The CO2 cartridge would also put out the battery fire. Think of it as a
portable fire suppression system. Maybe one could us a CO2 cartridge to
pressurize a water-bottle fire sprinkler system over the battery case.
Kickstarter opportunity!

My 2c is that the water bottle is likely to explode first, but why waste
one fire suppresent method(suffocation by C02 replacing Oxygen) with
another less general method of fire suppresant(heat remowal).

-- Jay Beattie.