Old September 10th 03, 08:54 PM
whahoo

Default Bicycle friendly town in Florida

(Pbwalther) wrote in message ...
LOL, I do appreciate the response though. I am looking more coastal
than Gainesville.

I do realize Florida may not be the friendliest biking state overal,
but there must be areas that are friendlier than others. How bout
coastal GA,MS,AL, have any experience in those areas? I do know I have
to visit these areas more but I'm just trying to get a general feel,
so I know what areas to visit, and what areas to just not bother with
at all. Im trying to narrow down the possibilties.

Thanks,
Hill

"Slider2699" wrote in message
.com...
"ohberg" wrote in message
Gainesville, FL gets my vote. But you really need to try to visit the
places you are most interested in.

Gainesville is nowhere near the panhandle, or the coast at all. I think the
OP is looking for places like Gulf Breeze or Pensacola. It hasn't been my
experience that many places here in FL are very bicycle friendly.

Ah, a shame then. I was thinking you might look at the Live Oak area. Live
Oak has a lot of rural roads in the area that don't have much traffic and are
pretty scenic. And Live Oak is a pleasant enough town. However, it isn't
exactly coastal.

Another place you might look at it Inverness. They have the Withalacochee
(sic?) Bicycle Trail go through there and you can do a century on the trail
without difficulty and the trail does not have many people on it either.
Inverness is a nice town from what I have seen. Again it isn't coastal but it
is pleasant.

I think you will find that the best Florida cycling is in the interior and not
at the coasts. But if you are within an hour or so drive of the coast, who
cares? Just jump in the car and go!

Another place to look at might be Mount Dora or Eustis. There is some pretty
good cycling around there also.

This is not in the panhandle of FL, but is a great area, New Smyrna
Beach. It's a small town and yet is close to everything. Less then an
hour from Orlando. Has a very large riding club (Florida Free Wheelers
with a couple hundred members) near with lots of group rides in many
parts of FL. Just a thought.