Old May 14th 09, 06:41 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
Paul Wolff

Default Push bike

CDB wrote
CDB wrote:

[channelling Walt]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chef_(South_Park)

I've left a space after the closing parenthesis, to see if that has
any effect on the deletion problem.

Nope. It's not much trouble to copy and paste the title of the
non-existent article into the search box and close the parenthesis,
though.

It didn't help me either (another Turnpike user).

RFC 2396 (URL:http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt) says, in part:

URI are often transmitted through formats that do not provide a clear
context for their interpretation. For example, there are many
occasions when URI are included in plain text; examples include text
sent in electronic mail, USENET news messages, and, most importantly,
printed on paper. In such cases, it is important to be able to
delimit the URI from the rest of the text, and in particular from
punctuation marks that might be mistaken for part of the URI.

In practice, URI are delimited in a variety of ways, but usually
within double-quotes "http://test.com/", angle brackets
http://test.com/, or just using whitespace

http://test.com/

These wrappers do not form part of the URI.

URI = Uniform Resource Identifier(s).

I see no objection in that RFC to the use of the ) character in a URL,
but I can see from a web search that other software has similar
difficulty in deciding if it is external or internal punctuation when )
occurs at the end of the string.
--
Paul