Old April 13th 15, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Inside a Chainglider after 3500km with zero chain maintenance

On 2015-04-13 17:59:45 +0000, jbeattie said:

On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 3:57:08 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
SNIP

What drag and what weight? A Rohloff system complete weighs about the
same as a derailleur system complete, and is between 1 and 4% less
efficient than common top of the line derailleur systems, in return for
which you don't have to clean it or tune it or spend constantly on
replacement parts, and you can change multiple gears at once, even at
standstill, a very considerable boon for utility riding. Check out the
first post in this thread about maintenance saving. (Admittedly, you
can get similar maintenance savings with the cheaper Shimano hub
gearboxes, but they didn't last well in my hands. Note however, Dutch
and continental experience, where service is available, unlike here, is
different for the Shimano gearboxes.)

There is a weight penalty for a road bike -- between one and two
pounds, and it's all in the back. But aside from that (which isn't
meaningful for some people), I was wondering about the long-term cost
savings. According to Lou, chain life for his Rohloff (no chaincase)
is about the same as the chain life for his derailleur bike. Lou,
correct me if I am wrong.

Ridden in the same conditions I experience no difference.

So, you would have savings on cassettes but not necessarily chains.
The next question is what is the cost/life span of a Rohloff cog.

According to that Oracle eBay, Rohloff cogs range between $32 and $54.
A Rohloff cog is $40 at JensonUSA.
http://www.jensonusa.com/!GU7rsFY-j1...eplacement-Cog

The Tiagra level cassette on my commuter bike cost $30.
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...06&category=41

I don't know the lifespan of a Rohloff cog, but it is probably longer
than my cassette -- plus you can flip them. Cassette life varies
depending on how diligent you are changing chains. I'd be curious to
see how the cassette and cog compare.
I agree that if you don't mind the weight and the absence of STI
shifters, some oddities in terms of shifting (backing off to get a
gear), 14 gears instead of 18/20/22, wider steps, adding oil and cost,
increased friction (not making that up; it's been measured), then it's
a great system. You can shift when stopped. I assume it doesn't miss
gears and sticking cables don't have the same effect (e.g. ghost
shifting, etc.) It lasts forever and hoses off easier.It probably makes
a superior MTB mud bike/heavy tourer.-- Jay Beattie.

You got it. No more no less. But if I was commuting in your horrible
weather I would ride a bike like this:

http://www.santosbikes.com/fietsen/lite-serie/race-lite

with dynohub of course.

--

Lou

Something that I've noticed with a lot of bikes like this one and the Surly Long-Haul Trekker is that the panniers are often mounted way back of the rear axle. At one time it was taught to have as much of the weight of the bag and contents centred over the rear axle for directional stability of the bike. Has something changed that lets you mount your pannier far over the back of the rear axle without affecting bicycle directional stability/handling?

Cheers